A vital key to our lake area becoming a better place to live is the basic need of Community Involvement. After all the basis of the Toledo Bend Lake Association is due to the community being involved in this association, with out our members we could not exist. We encourage all of our members to be involved in their community and as a successful organization we feel compelled to assist with manpower or financial aid to other worth while lake area organizations that are in need.
In the past the Toledo Bend Lake Association has through an application process, contributed funds to several of these worth while community projects. Some of the projects are listed below.
- Funded replacement computers for the Many, LA and the Hemphill, TX J.R. Huffman library systems.
- Made contributions to the Sabine Parish Underwater Rescue Search & Recovery dive team.
- Made funding available to the Sabine Parish 4-H Youth Outdoors Activities Club
- Supplied manpower & funds for fishing equipment for the Louisiana Department Wildlife & Fishery’s annual 5 th grade “Let’s Go Fishing” program. This program brings every 5 th grader from Sabine Parish to Cypress Bend Park for an educational day on safe boating, fish identification, casting skills and a chance to catch fish with a cane pole.
- Sponsorship of a summer youth golf program “Hooked on Golf” at the Cypress Bend Golf Course.
- Made donations to the “Hooked on Fishing not on Drugs” organization, based out of Hemphill, Texas. This organization has a once a year, one day fishing derby that has over 400 kids of every age to come to Toledo Bend Reservoir to experience the thrill of fishing. The founder of “Hooked on Fishing not on Drugs” is Paul Hinton.
- Donated to the Association of Wildlife Fishery Enforcements Agents of Louisiana to purchase tee shirts for children in boats that were caught wearing their life jackets. The “I caught you wearing your life jacket” tee shirt campaign has been going on for a few years and is very popular with the boating community.
These are just a few of the worth while community involvement projects and organizations that are supported by the Toledo Bend Lake Association and the majority of its members.
2006 LDWF Let's go Fishing Program with
Some Happy 5th Graders
5th Graders at the 2006
LDWF Let's go Fishing Program
5th graders lined up to fish in the LDWF clinic 2004
2003 LDWF 5th grade fishing clinic
2004 5th grade fishing clinic and it seems to work!
2003 - Royce Furlow Treasurer Toledo Bend Lake Association handing a check to
purchase a new flag pole for the West Louisiana Veterans Memorial Park to
Wynona Gamble Secretary Treasurer
2006 Summer Program Hook a Kid on Golf Held at
Cypress Bend Golf Course