Submissions - Ads - Information - Pictures
Your Submission Is Welcome!!!
You are urged to submit relevant information, vintage print advertising (including catalog pages), and photos of lighters. Please read and follow the guidelines below. We do not pay for articles, information or images but will happily give you credit for your submissions. Thank You!
Typically, this website will not use any advertising images or photos for anything later than 1989 - and unless it is something special, we generally prefer things prior to 1979.
- Submissions of ads not already present are welcome. Submission of ads improving on the quality of ads we already have are very welcome, too.
- Ideally... Generally, ads should be scanned. Taking a picture of an ad usually results in an ad that is in perspective and is wider at one end than the other; typically this is hard to fix and have the ad remain readable. If a picture of an ad is taken from exactly above it, that at least eliminates the perspective problem. Pictures also tend to have uneven lighting; also somewhat difficult to fix. Scans should be at 300 DPI (dots per inch) for full page size ads; smaller ads should probably be at 600 DPI. When scanning, if possible, send a TIFF file; a JPG file that gets condensed tends to make the wording on the ad very difficult to read. We request large images in TIFF format so we can do any clean up necessary and adjust the scan before reducing the size for presentation in the website.
- However... many of the ads we already have aren't great quality. If you are submitting something new for the website there is a lot more flexibility in the quality because we'd rather have something passable (as opposed to very good) than noting at all.
- Ad MUST Have Date: Ideally, we would like to know the source of the ad (e.g. Magazine Name, Month, Year), but, at the very least, we must have the year of the ad. While the ad may be interesting, without a date (year at minimum) it is of no real value for reference.
- Please EMAIL (email@example.com Subject: VCL Ad) prior to submitting any scans or photos to let us know what you want to send and the approximate size of your photo or scan. We simply do not accept email with attached materials unless it is expected - too much bad stuff going around in email, you know.
Information / Articles
- If you have written an article about cigarette lighters, or wish to do so, we will be very happy to consider it for this site. Articles should have good, appropriate pictures to accompany them. Articles must include a realease allowing us non-exclusive, indefinite use of the article and the right to edit as we deem appropriate. The release must include a statement that the article is your own and that you have the right to allow us to use it. Articles are subject to review and any given article may be accepted or rejected. Please email first with an overview of your article so we can determine if there is interest in proceeding further with it.
- If you have more information about any specific lighter displayed, please share it with us. It would be nice if you have a reference source for your information as we do like to double check it when possible. If you did some research to come up with your information, please do not make what you submit a verbatim copy of the information you found. We do not want to violate copyrights!
- Please EMAIL (firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: VCL Info) your information. If you are referencing a specific lighter, please be sure to let us know EXACTLY which one it is!
- At this time we are not accepting new lighter pictures. In the near future we expect to, but first we need to get the ones we already have in place.