Historic Roadside Park
The picnic area on US 190 in Newton County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department, now Texas Department of Transportation. This 1936 park accommodated motorists attending the state’s centennial events that year. It was built by the National Youth Federation, a federal works relief program.
The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today hundreds of picnic areas and rest areas dot Texas’ highways, continuing thje state’s legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks.