The first written records pertaining to the establishment of a post office in Milam by the Republic of Texas is contained in a Notice for Contracts Open for Bid, dated September 14, 1838. This notice relates to a mail route from Nacogdoches through the town of Milam to Gaines Ferry (now Pendleton). W. H. Harris is shown as being the postmaster there in 1839. The first United States Past Office was established on May 22, 1846, with M. Weatherred, Jr. as the first postmaster.
In earlier times Milam was used as a campsite on the Old San Antonio Road. There still survives a record that Milam was incorporated in 1837, being the first incorporated town in Sabine County and perhaps in all of East Texas.
The town was the county seat of Sabine County until 1858 when it was moved to a more central location at Hemphill.
During the life of the Republic of Texas, Milam was a port of entry with a customs collector, and at one time was reported to have had two large race tracks and several inns and taverns. Today, Milam has a population of perhaps 180.
The Archives of the Texas State Library has on file a map with the following inscriptions, Map of the Town of Milam in Sabine County, dated July 11, 1850.
The State of Texas has placed a Historic Monument Marker at Milam, and the inscription on it is shown on the page listing Sabine County monuments and Markers.
For further information about Milam, you may contact the Milam Settlers Day Organization at 409-625-3155