Welcome to Shelby County, Texas!
Find out about our history and communities and see why this is a great place to live, work and play.
Shelby County is the 100th largest of the 254 counties in Texas. The county seat of Shelby is Center and the next most significant city is Timpson.
Even though congressional districts and counties have boundaries which overlap, Shelby county falls within the 10th Texas congressional district(s) and the 3rd Texas senatorial district(s).
The county consists of 778 square miles. Rainfall in the county averages 49.70 inches per year compared to the Texas average of 21.0 inches per year.
The average growing season in Shelby county is 240 days with the average first freeze generally occurring around Nov 12. Texas is so climatically diverse that statewide averages are irrelevant as a means of comparison.
- Check out Toledo Bend Reservoir for fishing reports, tournaments, marinas, lake level, and lots more!
- Area weather
- Click here for Accommodations / Marinas in Newton County or anywhere around the lake
- What’s going on? Festivals? Tournaments? Click HERE to find out about what’s going on all around the lake
- Here’s where you find Government Contacts – local, state, federal
- Newspapers from all areas around the lake are listed here
For current Shelby County Info… ShelbyCountyToday.com